7/23/10

C-O-L-I-C

A four letter word as far as I'm concerned. Lately, Henry has been about as fun as a toothache. Sounds harsh, but oh so true. You'd say the same thing if you've lived at our house the last two weeks.
Not that this is an original problem. There was about a two week period, 5-7 weeks, where Lillie was sometimes fussy in the evenings. But then I stopped taking prenatal vitamins and just took 2 flintstones instead and she got better. I'm not sure if it was because of the vitamins or not but the fussing ended and that's the important thing. It wasn't that bad, especially compared to now.
For the last two weeks, pretty much every evening is spent rocking, bouncing, patting, and shushing for about 3-4 hours, all in vain. He cries and cries and cries and cries. There aren't any signs of it letting up either and frankly, I am sick of it. I am so tired by the time that 7:00 rolls around, the last thing I want to do is wrestle Henry for hours and hours. Not that it's his fault at all, poor kid. It breaks my heart to see him clearly in pain with his back arched and head thrown back, screaming at the top of his lungs. I wish there was something I could do to help. Sugar pills and water sold as cures for colic are lies.
I really want this stage to pass and I'm sure he does too. I think we'll both go crazy if it lasts much longer.

6 comments:

Sarah and Cory Smith said...

Oh my gosh..I am so sorry. That sounds awful and I bet you are about to lose your mind. I hope that this will pass soon. We will be thinking of you.

Mike and Lisa said...

Poor all of you! I've heard gripe water helps with tummy aches. Or we used to give Emmett Mylicon. Or sometimes I've heard that eating dairy can cause tummy troubles too. I'm sure you've already heard all of this before. Hope it gets better!

Rolene and David said...

Oh no! I'm sorry, that has got to be really hard! Hang in there!
BTW, Is he gassy? Clark was so crazy the first 3 months of life and the only thing to make him stop was giving him baby Gas drops. It would help him for a while, until some more emerged. Maybe that would help?? Good luck! Hope it gets tolerable! :)

RileyDestry said...

Ugh, that sucks! Hinder went through a similar thing, but every baby is so different. Heavy duty swaddling and bouncing on a fitness ball was a life saver for us.

Charee said...

I just want to hold and love Henry!!! And give you a break. You need to come up here for a month or two. I remember when Grady was super fussy all the time--I used to feel so bad for him and think that inside he probably was really sweet and really wanted to be a good boy for me--now that I know him a lot better I think that he just might have a been a pain for me on purpose. :) No really, I feel so bad for fussy babies--the fussiness is probably way more painful for them than us. Hang in there--it will get better!

Lyle and Mary: said...

This too shall pass...hang in there.