This post might be considered a little TMI, but I am clueless and could use some advice from seasoned mothers.
So a long time ago, months ago, Lillie would go #2 and then would want to be changed immediately and sometimes she would tell us before she would go. So we got a little potty for her and thought that eventually we would start potty-training.
Well, we got her to go #1 and #2 on the potty last week, once, and I thought that now that she understood the concept, she'd be all about it. But since then, she has turned anti-potty. She won't even go near the thing, she says no when I ask her if she needs to go, and then goes two minutes later in her diaper. Apparently the sucker and m&m's weren't enough of a bribe to keep things going.
I would LOVE to have her potty trained before baby comes, but I really don't think it's gonna happen. Any tips??
5 comments:
Oh I HATE potty training. It was a NIGHTMARE with Carter. Still is sometimes. One day it just clicked. One day he just wanted to wear his underwear and go in the toilet. Just like that. Seriously. The problems came a week later when we had to go on a month long trip. DON"T DO THAT. ha. Anyways, back to my advice. . . Have you given her some new underwear or gone to the store to pick out some? That worked great with Carter. Also, just randomly throughout the day just take her to the potty. If you ask, they'll say no. just take them. I sometimes hold the candy in my hand in front of them while Carter goes. That way the bribe is right there in front of them.
Best advice of all though is just to wait. Stinks, I know, but it'll just click for her.
GOOD LUCK
Cassidy gave some good tips. I don't think that everything works with every child. You have to find what works for Lilly. For Peyton, the undies were a big deal as well. Let her pick them out. Another thing that totally got Peyton trained was not rewards, but loss of privilages. Peyton LOVES to watch little einsteins. If you went #2 in his pants then he didn't get to watch until we went in the potty the next time. Sounds crazy, but it worked like a charm. Good luck!!
So obviously I haven't had to deal with this yet, I'm letting Hallie wait a little longer before we start into the potty training. :) But my cousin posted a blog on this a while ago and I thought they had some good ideas you could try out if you wanted.
She said she had her son work toward a big prize, his was a party with all his little friends I think. She could work up to it by going in the potty so many times and putting a sticker up every time she goes. Or my cousin did it when he had his first full day of staying dry.
Another one of the ideas was getting a bunch of little dollar store toys and keeping them on the counter. Let her look through them and see what ones she wants and each day she stays dry she could pick one out.
Don't know if those will help or not, but I hope you find something that works! Good luck! I'm really nervous for the day I have to work on this with Hallie!
Carrie, I don't know If I have ever commented before...but i am a long time lurker. This is Tiffany(Byington) we clogged together. plus I am good friends with your sis in law lisa. anyway, we just went through this with our little girl. She seemed ready and all that and then would freak out when I asked her to go on the potty, yadda, yadda, yadda. so we always talked about but I just sort of gave up on trying to take her to the potty because it just frustrated me so I just stopped. and then one day like cass said, it just clicked. she just went in and went like a big girl. we haven't even had any accidents. She just goes in and uses the potty all by herself. so so nice. so I say don't frustrate yourself and just drop it for awhile, but still talk about it with her. does that even make sense? Anyway, good luck, it is the worst part of motherhood!!
Chill!!! I've got a 40 pound son who'll no longer FIT in diapers any day now...he's kind of done the same thing, went potty is his mini toilet once and even got a new train for it and now couldn't care less about trying to go on the toilet. You're right, though, I can't imagine buying diapers for two so we both better get crackin.
Post a Comment