7/29/08
My First California Earthquake
Today I felt my first SoCal earthquake. There were a couple little ones when we first moved here, but I had slept through them, however, this one definitely woke me up. Lillie and I were napping in her room this morning when everything started shaking. It felt like I was five years old again and Heath, Wendy and Charee were shaking the bunk beds as hard as they could while I was on the top bunk. It took a split second for me to realize what was going on, but then I ran over to Lil's crib and laid my body across her so that nothing would fall on her. I didn't pick her up because I didn't want to wake her up and there wasn't really too much that could have fallen on her. She slept right through it, it only last 30 seconds or so. The earthquake was a 5.4 on the Richter scale and was only 7 miles down into the earth so people as far away as San Diego and Las Vegas felt it. As long as there aren't any more for a while and as long as they are never stronger than that, then I will be fine. It was an eye opener, though, to see that I couldn't get a hold of Eric because no calls would go through and it made me wonder about what we would do in case of a real emergency. I've been working on our 72 hr kits, but I now will have a renewed effort.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
This might sound crazy, but I'm a bit jealous! I wanted to feel an earthquake when we lived down there, but I never did! I did however, go to the earthquake simulator at the California Science Center...:) I'm glad you made it through!
That is scary. I am so glad that you guys are ok. I am the emergency prepardness specialist is our ward. I need to do a better job. I think it is something that is somewhat hard to have in the front of our minds, but it needs to be. We are glad you are safe.
Welcome to California! I am glad nothing happened to your little family. Nothing happened here, besides my bed almost collapsing with me on it! Remember next time to get into a doorway, supposedly thats the safest place.
I saw the earthquake on the news when we were on our vacation. I'm glad that you guys are okay. We miss you.
Did you get Breaking Dawn? :)
Post a Comment