5/11/13
First Campout
Eric and I used to go camping at least a couple times a year before we had kids. There is nothing better than being out in nature, enjoying the peace and quiet and electronics-free environment. After we became parents, we often talked about camping again but have never done it, I was always afraid that the kids would take forever to fall asleep and/or wake up constantly through out the night. Sheer torture and no way to escape it. So I played it on the safe side. Last night was supposed to be the father sons camping trip for our stake. Unfortunately, Eric was on-call for work, which we didn't know about until yesterday afternoon, so he wouldn't be able to go. Also unfortunately, we'd already mentioned to Henry and he was excited to go. So, our compromise, which worked out better because I wasn't left home alone and Lillie was also able to camp, which she badly wanted to do, was to set up the tent in the backyard and have a campout back there. We started off the evening by cooking hobo dinners, in the oven so that they could cook evenly and quickly, then started a fire and roasted marshmallows for s'mores. Lillie and Henry then went inside the tent so that Lillie could read bedtime stories to Henry, then we tucked them in and laid down. It took them a little while for them to fall asleep, but it was probably faster than a typical night, we often hear them running around upstairs an hour after being tucked in. I came in later to sleep in my bed but the kids and Eric slept all night in the tent without any problems. I was shocked. My kids are afraid of the dark and so I thought this would be an issue. But they did so well and loved it! Lillie said she wants to sleep out there again tonight, but I don't think Eric will want to do that again for a while. We all had an AWESOME time and was totally worth the effort.




Oh man, this last picture is just awful, Eric looks sick but he had chocolate all over his face by the end of the s'more. haha
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Ahhhhhhh! Camping and hobo dinners! Those were the days. Glad your kids had fun. Not sure when we will be brave enough to try camping with kids.
Post a Comment