2/10/09

Lillie Loves to Push My Buttons :)


So tonight was a little interesting. Lillie and I were having a low key evening, we were waiting for Eric to get done at school. Lillie had been walking around all over the house, making her usual round through the living room, kitchen, and the dining room, etc, etc. I was busy in the living room when all of the sudden, the two fire alarms go off, screaming their assault while I try to figure out what the heck's going on. The apartment is full of smoke and I round the corner into the kitchen where I see flames reaching a foot off of our stove. I find a lid and smother the flames. Lillie is freaked out and crying so I take her to my neighbor's apt, and because I opened our apt door, it set off the fire alarm in the hall of the apt complex. It took a little time to get out enough smoke to quiet the alarms. There was little harm done, my hot pad was the only casualty.
Lillie LOVES PUSHING BUTTONS. Unfortunately, some idiot back in the 70's, thought it would be a great idea to put the controls to the stove and oven on the front, within the reach of a 1 year old. Seriously, a stupid design, Mr. Engineer Man. We've tried covering up the buttons with cardboard and tape, but she either pushes underneath it or pushes on top of it, successfully turning on the stove. SHE HAS DONE IT PROBABLY 20 TIMES, it's getting old. I'm usually really good about not putting stuff on the stove top, but I forgot today and it's not exactly easy when you don't have any counter top space. Of course, the stove won't be replaced til it dies...or UNTIL THE APT BURNS DOWN WITH US INSIDE IT!!!!

10 comments:

lyle said...

When you say "Mr Engineer Man" are you talking to me? I can fix that stove.

Put the cardboard under (below) the buttons so that she has to reach above the cardboard and inward. Make the cardboard 1/2 inch thick.

Lyle

Jordon and Terra said...

yikes thats kind of scary! maybe after that she won't try it again though. I just watched the video you posted a while ago too, soo funny! She is so cute and getting so big and grown up!

Sarah and Cory Smith said...

Thank goodness for Lyle. He thinks of everything! I am just thankful that you guys were alright!! I can't imagine running into my kitchen to see FLAMES!! Scary.

Shanell Farr said...

something has got to be done about this!

Shanell Farr said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mel said...

That is quite the stove.

Desi said...

Now, Lillie!

Tammy said...

Looks like you have your hands full. I am glad that everything is alright! I have had my share of fires. You do need a new stove.

Mikelle said...

That is crazy! Glad your alright! Some people probably shouldn't invent things.

Wendy said...

Groovy stove. I love that the whole building was filled with smoke and the painful ringing of the fire alarms. I'm sure you didn't disturb any naps. Oh Lillie - you better just move in with your Aunt Wendy. I have a stove just one era earlier than yours.