8/8/08

Necessity is the Mother of Invention

A couple days ago, I was trying to lower Lillie's crib when one of the side supports broke, badly. It was a pretty cheap crib, the cheapest one from Ikea, and we'd gotten it at a yard sale, so I don't know how many kids its gone through. Anyway, the crib is discontinued and so we couldn't get the part that we needed and I wasn't finding any amazing deals on craigslist to get us a new, well used, one. We didn't know what to do. Then last night it hit me, duh, go get a 1X4 and drill the holes yourself. So that's what we did and now that it's painted it's better than the original because it's actually made of solid wood instead of fiberboard. And the best thing is that it only cost us less than 10 bucks for everything (wood, drill bit, paint). A lot better than the couple hundred that I almost spent. It's made me so happy.
Also, we've been sleep training Lillie (for the third time). It is so hard but its finally paying off. She isn't crying for hours on end like she did the two times before, hence the reason that the previous attempts did not work. Lillie has always been a binky girl and I think, in the past, it's the reason why she couldn't sleep train. Anyway, last night she fell asleep after less than 5 mins of crying. So when we went in, we saw that she had found a binky in her crib and had put it in her mouth. She didn't wake up last night, at least not that I know of, and this morning she had a different binky in her mouth (there were two just sitting in there). When she napped this morning, I found the binky in her mouth again. It's just wonderful. She can go to sleep by herself and she still can have the binkies that she loves so much. It's a win, win.

1 comment:

Charee said...

Carrie- Todd here! Congrats on fixing the crib. I have been trying to convince Charee for years that Ikea's furniture is crap! Lillie will be much safer in the future in a crib that is braced with real wood and not fiber board.