4/13/09

For Sale

One toddler for sale!
One toddler for sale!
One crying and whining young daughter for sale!

This is an adaptation from one of my favorite Shel Silverstein poems, but it is kinda how I've felt lately about one difficult little one year old. Lillie has been putting me through the ringer lately with her fit throwing. She cries all day long to go outside but when we go out to the car to go anywhere she throws a huge fit about being put into her carseat and cries until we reach our destination. It's nearly impossible to get her in a shopping cart or stroller too. She tests me all day long with touching the tv, ending up in minute long time outs multiple times throughout the day. I've been telling myself it's just a phase, but it's been a couple months!

She definitely has her endearing and sweet moments, but man, there are frustrating times too...for me and her.

Anyone have any advice?

7 comments:

Lyle and Mary: said...

Heres my advice...pack her bags and I will give you a break and take her to Korea for two years!
It's a phase. One year olds don't have any reasoning skills. Neither do two year olds if that's any encouragement :o) I heard a child psychologist say don't even bother explaining your side of things to a kid until they are about 18 years old. They don't get it and you will be wasting your breath or just asking for an arguement. Just make them settle for the yes, no, because I said so explanations.
Your a great mom, hang in there!

Tammy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tammy said...

I would love to say it goes away as they get older...NOPE!!! Just bigger drama.

I think that is why Heavenly Father sneaks in the those cute moments every once in a while so we don't sell them.

Good Luck and you are doing great!!

Mel said...

I am so not looking forward to those days...and they are fast approaching for us. I have no idea what to do, but I have been reading a parenting magazine and they have some good articles about stuff.

Kerri said...

No advice as Tyler has tried my patience countless times. I remember there were days when I would wonder if putting him in time-out 10 times in one day was helping at all! I can't say that it will get easier, but the challenges will just change. But I really wouldn't change anything about my strong-willed, personality-filled, driven little guy! Hopefully they will use those traits for positive things when they get older, right?

P.S. Thank goodness they are so stinkin' cute, though!

Wendy said...

Liar! She's a piece of cake. Trade you for Brandt the whirlwind.

Anonymous said...

sell her to me